View Poll Results: Are you excited to see this world being created for TS3?
Yes
7 100.00%
No
0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 1951 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 2:51 AM Last edited by engdalmagnus01 : 2nd Mar 2019 at 1:28 AM.
Default BERGHEIM AM LECHEM - New German town in the making
Hi everybody! I am currently creating a new world for TS3; Bergheim am Lechem! The world will have German names for the households, and German street names! The town is located mostly within the borders of a former star-fort. For creating this world, I have taken inspiration from Amsterdam in Holland and Gdansk (Danzig) in Poland for the buildings. Star forts are common in Europe. Some examples of these are the old town in Bremen, Bourtange in Holland, Fredrikstad in Norway, and Palmanova in Italia. For the main fort, I didn't take inspiration from any one real-life star fort in particular, but the smaller star-fort up the river is very much inspired by the one up the river from Gdansk, Poland . There is still a ton of work to do on this project! I haven't gotten to landscaping and placing trees and all that. I also have done little to the part of the town across the river. There will be NO lot copying, of course!

I used the France distant terrain (a CAW object that makes the world not seem like just one big island), so you can see the Eiffel Tower in the distance, but just ignore that. This world is meant to be in Germany, not France. As for CC, I have used only a few items and a few package items, these will be included in the download when I get to that.

STORYLINE: The fortified town Bergheim am Lechem along the Lechem river, is a lovely, beautiful town, settled by sims with deep-rooted connections to the land and each other. The town was carpet-bombed during a grusom war in the 1900s, and the inhabitants had to rebuild it from the ground up. The local government decided to take inspiration from Amsterdam, and built the town up with brick buildings. Today the town is a thriving, tight-nit community with many households who carry intricate stories with them. The town also sees many tourists from France, Egypt and China who stay at the local base camp. Down the Lechem river there's another star-fort, though significantly smaller, that people flock to because of its beauty and the trendy café there.

I hope you're intrigued and enjoy the pictures. The world will be filled with interesting sims, stories and lots, and there will be hidden/landmark tombs for you to explore! More picture will come soon. PLEASE REPLY! CRITIQUES, FEEDBACK, WHATEVER!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 10:49 AM

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Theorist
#3 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 6:09 AM
The architecture is good! What size map is it?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 6:52 AM
I think this is looking really good. My one suggestion is replace the hospital with a building more of the style of the rest of the town and use a RH rug. Or put it in a basement and build something on top that complements the rest of the town.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 2:48 PM
Yeah, the hospital looks too southern. Could imagine it looking appropriate in a Swiss world, but certainly not in any part of Germany. For the Civic Hall I'd honestly use a CAStable version of the same model. It looks alright but the colours seem really off.

Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi
Yeah, the hospital looks too southern. Could imagine it looking appropriate in a Swiss world, but certainly not in any part of Germany. For the Civic Hall I'd honestly use a CAStable version of the same model. It looks alright but the colours seem really off.

I agree on the hospital, but I feel kind of weird using rabbit hole rugs tbh, but I'm open to doing that. I just ended up using this one since I didn't want the clinical white one from base game.
I think the civic hall looks alright, I like the contrast of the red and orange roofs. And I don't want seperate lots for police and military, and I don't know how you make it CASTable.

Thank you for your feedback!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 7:55 AM
Maybe build a sanitarium or spa or whatever out in the country and put the hospital rh in the basement?

I think the city hall dwarfs much of the town. Pi and others can weigh in more about small European villages, but isn't the church one of the most dominant builds in many? And city halls closer in scale to the other buildings than here? Again, rugs or basement rh might keep more in scale with the rest?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 10:50 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 26th Feb 2019 at 11:18 PM.
Yeah now that you mention it. There should be a large church in a central location, with at least one other, smaller church elsewhere on the map. It should be about the same height as the current city hall, which is slightly oversized in terms of main building mass but not excessively so. I'm also noticing a lack of more modern buildings (post-war, but particularly of the last 30 years). The size of the buildings makes this a bigger town of at least 30.000 (though probably more than 50.000) people. So modern architecture is inevitable, if not common. You may not be able to find a whole lot of fans of these usually quite boring developments but they're an essential part of every decently-sized European settlement.

For the 60s/70s think light brown/beige brick colours, large but not wall-height windows, wood accents. 80/90s, heavy on light grey brick and concrete, smaller windows but lots of them, and geometrically inspired architectural elements. For current architecture, look towards heavy, reddish brown brick with lots of wall-height glass and lots of insets and setbacks. Happy to go out and take pictures if needed.
In fact I've been exploring more of Northwestern Europe over the past year or so and I'm happy to provide numerous examples of architecture I'd consider appropriate for this world. Collecting specimens as we speak.

Finally I'd recommend merging some of the lots downtown to eliminate gaps between buildings. You'll want to have them looking like rows as much as reasonably possible, you won't easily find random gaps between buildings in this sort of town. I'm seeing a lot of separate lots that could easily be made wider. I mention this specifically because you will often see the modern buildings strewn almost randomly across the streets. Any antique building, generally speaking, deemed unworthy of restoration will be demolished and replaced by something contemporary and there doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern to where these are built, though I've noticed a lot of them are on street corners. Again, happy to provide a guide to my hometown through the oddly high number of boring, late 20th century streetcorner housing developments.

Already renewed for '89!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2019 at 1:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi
Yeah now that you mention it. There should be a large church in a central location, with at least one other, smaller church elsewhere on the map. It should be about the same height as the current city hall, which is slightly oversized in terms of main building mass but not excessively so. I'm also noticing a lack of more modern buildings (post-war, but particularly of the last 30 years). The size of the buildings makes this a bigger town of at least 30.000 (though probably more than 50.000) people. So modern architecture is inevitable, if not common. You may not be able to find a whole lot of fans of these usually quite boring developments but they're an essential part of every decently-sized European settlement.

For the 60s/70s think light brown/beige brick colours, large but not wall-height windows, wood accents. 80/90s, heavy on light grey brick and concrete, smaller windows but lots of them, and geometrically inspired architectural elements. For current architecture, look towards heavy, reddish brown brick with lots of wall-height glass and lots of insets and setbacks. Happy to go out and take pictures if needed.
In fact I've been exploring more of Northwestern Europe over the past year or so and I'm happy to provide numerous examples of architecture I'd consider appropriate for this world. Collecting specimens as we speak.

Finally I'd recommend merging some of the lots downtown to eliminate gaps between buildings. You'll want to have them looking like rows as much as reasonably possible, you won't easily find random gaps between buildings in this sort of town. I'm seeing a lot of separate lots that could easily be made wider. I mention this specifically because you will often see the modern buildings strewn almost randomly across the streets. Any antique building, generally speaking, deemed unworthy of restoration will be demolished and replaced by something contemporary and there doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern to where these are built, though I've noticed a lot of them are on street corners. Again, happy to provide a guide to my hometown through the oddly high number of boring, late 20th century streetcorner housing developments.

Hi! I kind of want this world to look very traditional, so I don't think I'm going to add modern developments. Though the interiors are very diverse, ranging from traditional/old-fashioned to modern! I like to think the fortified town is kind of a world heritage site, that people can't redevelop . I also changed the very southern-looking hospital to more of a traditional half-timber-and-brick look as well.

Also, I wont merge lots. That would eliminate residential opportunities in this world. As you know, only one household per lot.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2019 at 8:54 AM
I like the idea of keeping it all older/traditional. This is Sims and the town may have not developed as ones in RL. I also would replace the grocery or whatever it is, I cannot recall now, books too, whatever, with the red tile roof. Other than those few lots which I think do not fit in, I think you are doing an amazing world here.

I am living in a town now with very strict codes in the historic district. I love that they are doing that as it is keeping the charm of the place.